Saturday, November 04, 2006

North Carolina on South Mountain


Deep in the woods along the ridge of Maryland's South Mountain rests this monument to the men of North Carolina who gave their lives during the Confederate's first campaign into the north. Dedicated only 3 years ago, it highlights the darker sides of war often painted over by a preferred romanticism. The inscription reads:

In memory of the North Carolinians that fought at or near here September 14,1862.
The lst, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 20th, 23rd, & 30th NC Infantry Regiments and the 1st NC Artillery, Manly and Reilly Batteries.

General D. H. Hill was in command of the 10,000 Confederates with elements of Longstreet's Corps arriving in the afternoon. The fighting here at Fox's Gap saw one of the few instances of actual hand-to-hand combat of the war. The 13th was totally surrounded after the mortal wounding of Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland just a few yards from here. Two days after the battle, 58 Confederate dead were dumped down the well of farmer Daniel Wise located NW. In 1874, they were re-interred in Hagerstown, Md.

Respectfully,

Randy

Please visit my primary site at www.brotherswar.com

All original material Copyright © 2006. All Rights Reserved

3 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

I visited South Mountain area but missed this monument somehow. It's beautiful. I did, though, visit Rose Hill cemetery in Hagerstown. Will you, by any chance, be able to post photos of the candle illumination ceremony that will be held Dec. 2 at Antietam? I just recently heard about the event and am very disappointed that I cannot be there.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Randy said...

Hi Regina,

I have not yet seen the Memorial Illumination. Each year I plan to go and then my schedule gets in the way. However, if I am fortunate enough to make it there this year, I will certainly post whatever photos I can take. Due to the volume of people, the NPS does not allow the cars driving through to stop so picture taking can be difficult. But I can hope.

Randy

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Randy said...

I should have mentioned that you can find this monument by walking back the path near the Reno and Garland monuments/markers at Fox's Gap. After walking between 1/4 and 1/2 mile on the paved section, there will be a dirt path on your left. At the end of the path in front of a stone row, you'll find this monument. It isn't well marked but is worth the effort.

Randy

Thursday, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home